Friday, July 15, 2005

diggin' in the dirt

One of the reasons I decided not to become a pastor was that I didn't want to inflict myself on others. Let me explain.

Within all the discussion of the requisite training and skills necessary for the ministry, it seems to me that one of the central traits often not given adequate attention is "people skills". A close second, and somewhat related, is emotional health.

At my seminary, there was one--maybe two--required course(s) dealing with counseling, and very little of the course material was focused on oneself. In other words, it was still about skills, about how to deal with "them," rather than fostering self-awareness about one's own issues. Most courses focused on content- Greek, exegesis, theology, church administration--all great and important things, but in my mind less important than what I want to address here.

Over the years I've encountered a few too many pastors who I don't think should be pastors. The immediate reason pertained to the more "surface" issue noted above, people skills. These pastors were shy, awkward, and apparently uncomfortable making conversation or interacting with people. This made me (and others with whom I conferred) uncomfortable--the awkwardness usually transfers. While perhaps well-intentioned, these pastors communicated a lack of concern for those with whom they interacted. They exuded an aura that conveyed "I'd rather be in my study" or "I'd rather be with those few people I know well" or even "I'd rather be watching the game".

I'm not being shallow here. I really think there are personality types and people with certain ways they interact socially who should not go into a line of work where their top priority is relationships. Yes, I know today we've got all our trendy divisions of labor: executive pastor, teaching pastor, administrative pastor, etc, etc. Granted, someone might operate successfully in a less people-oriented type of pastoral role (in my mind an oxymoron). But, in general, most pastoral positions involve interacting with, guiding and caring for a group of people who--if you are doing things right--will begin to work through their own baggage, go through painful growing experiences, and be in need of pastoring.

Because of this, pastors must be, to put it simply, good with people. They need to be able to be hospitable, to "shoot the breeze," to have deep conversation, to counsel, to hang out, to reconcile, apologize and forgive. This is the "people skills" aspect. Though I do not wish to re-assert the stereotype that studious, introverted people cannot be any of the aforementioned things, I've encountered a few too many pastors who are the latter without the former. (I've got a separate rant, by the way, for the buddy-buddy pastor who can chat your ear off and "kick it" with you but who's unreflective, a non-learner, and unable to teach. So, I'm not knocking the studious pastors.) I've met the pastors who seem shyer than I am, who don't know what to say, who seem aloof and detached. This is unacceptable.

The second aspect goes deeper, so it's less readily apparent. Pastors need to be working on their emotional maturity or emotional quotient. They need to be people who have spent time digging in the dirt of their past, of their baggage, of their own issues. How else do you expect to lead people through their own growth along such paths?

When I run my seminary some day, counseling (i.e. therapy for every student!) will be a required part of the program for ministry preparation. Individual counseling, small group discipleship and spiritual formation, caring for others, mentoring and being mentored--the works. In my view, facilitating the growing and maturing in grace is the top priority for institutions preparing spiritual leaders. Of course scriptural knowledge is essential and practical ministry skills are key, but forging a soul (or creating a space where God can forge it) should be first. There are too many people out there in ministry with their crap just leaking out, spewing out everywhere and infecting their relationships and the churches they influence. Sometimes only its effects are palpable while the source remains undetected.

Of course it's not about perfection, or having all your crap together. But it is about having made significant headway, having done some major house-cleaning, setting things in order. It's about having been on a path to wholeness for some time, having a firm foundation.

If you're a pastor or headed that way, and you haven't spent some time in counseling exploring your damage and seeking healing, I hope you make that choice. "But God hasn't called me to counseling yet. I've been called to ministry. I'm passionate and ready to serve." Well, consider this your call- God has reached through cyberspace and smacked your ass upside the head. Get your ass into counseling. Even if you're one of that 5% who truly have no deep-seated psychological issues, a little self-awareness never hurt anybody.

So, back to me. Though I like to think I've got fairly decent people skills, I do think I'm one of those people who partially fulfills the studious, introvert, shy and not-so-good-with-people mold. I've worked at it, done a lot to come out of my shell. But it's not good enough for what I believe the pastoral role requires. I'm not going to be one of those jackasses who makes others feel excluded or unwelcome because I'm hesitant to talk to them or can't find the words. Having encountered wonderfully gifted pastors who effortlessly mingle and talk and embrace, I'm confident I can leave the task to better men and women.

And while I've spent my share of time sorting through my baggage and own crap, there's more there. At this point it's too much to pour out on others. If the people skills, the surface attribute, were in place, I might be able to massage things to keep my crap under wraps effectively enough to minister well. But I am not in a place yet to, in the immortal words of Apone, "Secure that shit, Hudson!" And I'd have to say a few too many pastors I've encountered are not in that place either. Whether as drill sergeants barking orders and terrorizing their colleagues, or as passive-aggressive people-pleasers who let their insecurities rot the system and destroy morale, there are far too many idiots with serious emotional problems who could benefit from therapy before being in positions where their emotional/relational health is to be the central asset they bring to the job.

Now, I know things are more complicated than this, and, if I'd really felt an overwhelming call to the pastorate I'd probably be writing now about how you have to tough it out in the trenches of ministry and be healed in the process. There is something to that. A certain amount of healing and maturity will only come through the tensions of conflict resolution, negotiation, and partnering with others. A lot of the people skills pastors need will be acquired as they pastor. Since I felt a call in another direction it may be too easy for me to bash those heading for the pastorate who I deem unworthy. But I still firmly believe a substantial foundation of people skills and emotional health must be in place before one commences such a role. At the risk of criticism, I'll stand by my rant for the time being, happy to nuance it should that become necessary.

2 comments:

guanilo said...

Wow - fantastic post. This is not a rant at all - very thoughtful and considered. It probably goes w/o saying that I completely sympathize in term of my own personality and ability to work w/ people. That was one of the things that led me to the realization that I wasn't pastor material, either.

You mentioned courses that focused on content - it seems to me that the evangelical background and seminary experience we shared (can I say that w/o treading on breaking-yr-anonymity territory? (-: ) was so confessionally oriented that the job of the pastor for some was reduced to the kind of scholarly studiousness, or homiletical finesse, that you speak of. Such of course were not all or even the majority, but I wondered many times if evangelicalism was placing too heavy a load on the pastor - exegete, apologist, theologian, educator, counselor, preacher...is there room for the pastor after all that?

I think the sense was also fostered that the seminary-trained (by virtue of above courses) did have the answers, and had their shit together, and were ready to dispense wisdom and aid. It always seemed a touch arrogant.

Hi, my name is Gaunilo, and I have Issues. (Hi, Gaunilo). It's true - most of us have far more to deal with than we're willing to admit. But can it not come out in the classroom as well? REM has a great song, "Sad Professor": this may be a lit invention/professors muddled in their intent/to try to rope in followers/to float their malcontent. Perhaps I should still get my ass in counseling.

Or, you know, I could just blog and spill my crap out for the whole world to see.

P.S. When you run your own seminary, can I have a job?

Melvin Ming said...

G, I definitely think a lot of crap can come out in the classroom too, and that's an area we need to be aware of. I think my target was pastors primarily b/c of my belief that their central task involves relational/emotional health.

For professors/scholars, it's a bit different, but I don't want to overemphasize the distinction. Profs can technically pass on information while hopefully keeping much of their crap out of the way. It isn't absoltely central that they be have a stellar EQ or great people skills. (I think of...most of the profs I know!

On the other hand we cannot overlook the role that our emobodied person plays in the learning process, and a prof's affective/emotive side certainly has a huge impact on the student as learner. Ideally, profs are there to model not only information and studiousness, but an overall posture in life, a love of learning, a humble, inquiring attitude etc. Since it's part of the learning process for the student to wade through what the prof offers, both self and material, both good and bad, I'm willing to grant profs more leeway.

But yes, I can think of several profs who need to get their asses to counseling--anger management in particular--because they are clearly shitting all over their students with their issues and need to get their emotions under control.